Sunday, September 27, 2009
Sunday, September 13, 2009
- Consider everyone who does not think like they do an enemy and legitimate target for conquest or elimination.
- Deform the faith they seek to defend because they are more concerned with process and ritual than with the true content of their faith.
- Take the spirit out of spirituality.
- Are happiest when everyone looks dresses and acts exactly like they do; like identical preprogrammed, unthinking automatons.
- Stifle creativity, ingenuity and critical thought.
- Foster intolerance and conflict.
- Will create an intolerably boring world, should they gain the upper hand
Several years ago I told a wise friend that I was considering sending my daughter to the local mosque for weekly religious lessons but was concerned that she will taught by and old shaikh with fossilized ideas. On the contrary, he said, the older shaikhs tend to be more moderate and reasonable, it is the young ones who think they have all the answers that I should be concerned about. And therein lies the problem; it is the large number of young people who seem to be going from green to fossilized that is a source of concern for the future.
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Friday, September 04, 2009
I am still trying to understand what the impetus was for this campaign. Are there no other more pressing righteous causes? How about poverty, gender discrimination, honor killings, the absence of civil liberties and the absence of freedom of expression among a long list of societal ills. Don’t these deserve more immediate attention than a practice that is the realm of the personal and affects no one else?