Saturday, March 04, 2006

Enough to Make a Grown Man Cry...



I recently saw the movie The Syrian Bride, an Israeli film with a largely Israeli-Arab cast and Arabic script. It is the story of a Syrian bride from Majdal Shams on the day of her wedding and the trials and tribulations she has to go through to cross the border into Syria to meet her bridegroom. I will not give any more of the plot but highly recommend this gem of a movie to anyone who has not yet seen it. And yes, I shed some tears... But of course, nothing compared to the torrents unleashed by my wife.

4 comments:

Omar said...

I've been there, done that, never forget the experience..

I went to see it last summer, and was one of 6 other people in the theater.
it was a very strange emotional 2 hours, from hystically laughing at some scenes to sheding some tears on others.. it was a very well made movie..

it's sad that it took an Isareli director to depict our lives accurately, while our own mighty local directors still make movies about honor crimes (Like Mouhammad Malas' last movie) because it is exotic enough to get their movies in european film festivals... regardless that their movie qualities are less-than-average..

I wish such movie can be showed in Syria.. I thought it was more pro-syrian than any other movie I've seen lately

Anonymous said...

I saw it.. and I disagree with you Omar that it was pro-syrian, it did mix good and bad facts from both sides Israeli and Syrian, but at the end of the movie it was pro-israeli because they were easier with the bride.

Although I do know they Isreali treats humans better than some syrian officers do :( but still didn't like to see it on TV

Anonymous said...

I have been there too. Last summer in Nantes, France.
I loved the movie. All these human relationships interconnecting in a mystic way. The way it expresses the situation of women not only in Golan but in different communities in Syria : Opressed, but very powerful, assuming a key role in their environement.
I would highly recomend a palestinian movie : "INTERVENTION DIVINE".... Souha saw it too dear Omar ;)
Becher in NANTES

John Wreford said...

Big Mommas House 2 is on in Damascus if anyone is interested.