Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Redefining "Resistance"



When Arabs talk of about Al-mukawamah (resistance), they refer to a just struggle against anyone who breaches the sanctity of Arab land. It is a logical, justifiable and understandable nationalistic response to free occupied land. It is an idea that has instant mass appeal. Resistance, however, was always too narrowly -and negatively- defined as armed struggle, which often became an end in itself. Some leaders of resistance movements exploited the mass appeal of resistance to justify all of their actions and silence critics. Moreover, the idea of resistance was often commandeered by entrenched regimes to deflect attention from their own shortcomings; that explains the sudden fervor of the Syrian government for creating a "resistance" movement akin the Hizbullah in the Golan heights shortly after the July war in Lebanon.

It is time for us to redefine the idea of resistance both in relation to the methods and the targets of such resistance. First, we need to ditch the idea that resistance=armed struggle. My own experiences have taught me to abhor violence both on moral but also on pragmatic grounds. Armed resistance has a role when there are well-defined and achievable goals. Otherwise, it becomes self-destructive for the resistance movement itself and the people it claims to be working for. Second, we need to broaden the targets of resistance to include our own, corrupt and autocratic governments.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not advocating the creation of dissident guerilla movements. The last thing I, or most Syrians for that matter, want to see is Syria turned into another Iraq.
What I am advocating for is a form of civil resistance. A skeptic would say that its precisely what the leaders of the Damascus Spring and other dissidents have done and that has gotten them nowhere. The problem is that these leaders lack the visible support of the common citizen; even autocratic regimes are mindful of the will of the people -provided that will is expressed. The reason as we all know is that most Syrian citizens are politically disenfranchised and fearful of airing their political views. Yet, despite the tight government control on the media, Syria is not as closed a society as it was in the 70s and 80s. Many Syrians have traveled abroad and have access to information that the government does not control. They know and have seen alternatives to the autocratic system that they have to endure. Moreover, Syrian civil society has shown that it is capable of acting independently of the government. Witness the admirable Syrian civil society response to help displaced Lebanese. Some of it, to be sure, was government propaganda. Most, however, was the coordinated effort of common citizens, unions, professional groups and private businesses.

I am not expecting or imagining mass anti-government demonstrations to suddenly materialize in Syria. Yet, the Syrian people can no longer afford to wait for the halting pace of "reform" that the regime espouses. What is needed is coordinated civil action for change. It should start far from hot-button political issues but with issues that the government itself claims it is working to change such as corruption, economic reform and issues of social justice.

Is this all wishful thinking? Perhaps. An organized, activist civil society on its own may not be capable of affecting the type of change that is needed. Nevertheless, civil society groups working independently of the government are still critical for the long term health of Syria and are essential to mitigate the effects of a sudden (regime) change that would cause the instant disintegration of the centralized government.

(Illustration: Picasso's dove of peace)

10 comments:

The Syrian Brit said...

Wishful thinking?.. Regrettably, yes..
Call me a cynic.. call me a pessimist.. but from what I hear, see and know, most Syrians are still well within the 'comfort zone'.. most people still have a lot to lose from Regime change.. many have interests that entiwned with those of the Regime itself.. those who don't, fear the big unknown.. many are not willing to entertain the idea of change because they think they might not like the alternative..
I fear, my friend, that we are still far from being ready to express our will, or to try and force the Regime to take into consideration..
Furthermore, I am sure you agree that organising meals and shelter for the displaced Lebanese is one thing, organising political activities to force or affect a Regime change is another..

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

SB,

We always seem to have these "glass half full/half empty" discussions, as if you were my cynical alter ego. Yes, Syrians who are getting by financially are probably in this "comfort zone" but that does not represent the majority of Syrians.

You are right, it is a leap from organizing for relief to organizing for political objectives. I am suggesting that there is the knowhow, what is missing is the will.

The Syrian Brit said...

Abu Kareem,
It would my pleasure and privilege to be your 'cynical alter ego'.. if only I deserve the honour..
I entirely agree with your statement that what is missing is the will.. and that is exactly the theme of my own argument.. the will.. or rather, lack of..
I also accept that most Syrians are outside the 'comfort zone' financially.. for those, it is the fear of the unkown, and the sense of being disenfranchised, are what keep them from taking any interest..
Our struggle is long and painful.. not impossible (even by my pessimistic standards!..).. but long and painful, nevertheless..

Philip I said...

abu kareem

As you know, people in Syria are not sufficiently angry, organised or sure about the alternatives. The regime has also been careful not to let the situation boil over.

To make an impact, however small, we should really be writing in Arabic. But even then, people will not be impressed because it costs us nothing to write and it might cost them everything to protest. Neverheless, change comes about not only through revolutions and military coups but also often through small, almost imperceptable, attitude changes, triggered by a written word or a verbal comment. We have to believe that change is possible and remain both optimistic and outspoken if we really care about our countrymen and women and the future of our children.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Thank you all for your comments.

Philip I, You are absolutely right about writing in Arabic. I wish I could write in Arabic as well as I can in English. Because of my family's vagabond existence, I never finished high school in the Middle East though I returned later for University. Part of my schooling was in a French school in Lebanon, where, as you can imagine, literary Arabic was not their emphasis. I can read and translate perfectly well but I cannot express myself well enough in writing.

Philip I said...

abu kareem

I have a similar problem with Arabic compounded by the fact that it takes me 10 time as long to type an arabic sentence compared with English. It is frustrating. Ashtar (http://orientaleve.blogspot.com), a Palestinian blogger (Reem) who lives in Egypt writes brilliantly in Arabic. I enjoy reading her intelligent posts both for their content and language. Sometimes I wish I could write like her. Perhaps we can ask her to transliterate our thoughts into her Arabic!

Philip I said...

abu kareem

I have a similar problem with Arabic compounded by the fact that it takes me 10 time as long to type an arabic sentence compared with English. It is frustrating. Ashtar (http://orientaleve.blogspot.com), a Palestinian blogger (Reem) who lives in Egypt writes brilliantly in Arabic. I enjoy reading her intelligent posts both for their content and language. Sometimes I wish I could write like her. Perhaps we can ask her to transliterate our thoughts into her Arabic!

Anonymous said...

Yo Abu Kareem, stop spamming OpenLebanon with your posts!

If noone is reading your posts then maybe you should try another method for marketing your site...maybe one not so cheap and low.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Open Lebanon Admin:
I doubt you are really who you say you are. But if you are then it is your site has been screwed up for a while reposting things that appeared on many blogs long ago. I never chose to be on Opne Lebanon. Anyway, I wouldn't how to "spam" if my life depended on it.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Philip I,

I like your idea. Perhaps it can go both ways English to Arabic and vice versa.