Friday, March 23, 2007

A Correction and... a Glimmer of Hope?

In a post several days ago, I spoke of an older Syrian man, jailed in late January because of a poem he wrote, who reportedly died of a stroke or heart attack in custody. The report of his death, publicized by the Syrian Committee for Human Rights turned out to be false. The man, Mohamed Ali Derbak was released by the authorities soon after rumors of his death became public. Also released were the owner and the clerk of the bookstore where Mr. Derbak was making a photocopy of his poem.

I am, needless to say, happy for Mr. Derbak and his family. I am also happy that the authorities were essentially forced to release him to squelch rumors of his death. The fact that they would react this way rather than risk public indignation is encouraging. More often than not, one gets the impression that the authoritarian ways of the Syrian government are hopelessly immutable. Whether this is an small indication of change or whether this is a calculated act of self-preservation , I don't know. Mr. Derbak's saga, however, highlights the importance of publicizing these cases either by human rights organizations as well as activists of all stripes.

3 comments:

Philip I said...

Abu Kareem

I wonder who put out the rumour of his death in the first place, or am I being too clever and too suspicious?

The authorities may spread false rumours only to quash them later to discredit critics and come out looking innocent and hard done by. I'd be mildly pleased if they were playing such games; it would indicate that they still cared a little about public opinion! Anyway, the best thing is that this poor 72 year old man has been freed.

The Syrian Brit said...

I agree with Philip I.. Call me a cynic, but in a rather perverse way, this helped the Regime show its critics as melodramatic and exggerating, while offering the Regime an opportunity to demonstrate 'compassion' and magnanimity (yeah, right!..) by releasing an aging and seemingly ailing prisioner, whom they probably were going to release anyway!..
Nevertheless, as Philip I says, I am delighted for Mr. Derbak and his family

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Perhaps the two of you are right. Nevertheless, the public exposure also exposes the absurd reason for which he was incarcerated in the first place. The apparent compassion after two months in prison doesn't make up for the stupidity of the initial act itself.