Thursday, November 22, 2007

Syria: Another Round of Internet Censorship


Yet another round of random internet censorship. I don't get it! What is it that Bashar Al Assad, the self-described computer geek, and his government afraid of? He is securely in power, having, by pure luck or shrewd design, outmaneuvered both external and internal challenges to his authority. Moreover, this intermittent assault on the internet is useless in stemming the flow of information. With satellite TV, cellphones and proxy servers Syrians will continue to get plenty of information that that is not sanitized and whitewashed by their government.

So it is time for the government to stop this needless and futile censorship bullshit and move on. Everyone will be better off for it.

4 comments:

The Syrian Brit said...

Abu Kareem,
I agree entirely that these outdated and shortsighted tactics are completely useless.. I have alluded to that in the past (Please see the last paragraph in my post: http://syrianbrit.blogspot.com/2007/08/unstoppable-juggernaut-or-frightened.html)..
I think it is just a pathetic attempt to remind us all who is in charge.. A pathetic reminder that we are all at the mercy of the whims of those who control our lives (or so they would like to believe, and would like us to believe..)

sasa said...

You're welcome AK! Who knows, one day you might even agree with me!

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Sasa,

I do agree with you on more than you think. What's important is where many of us overlap in our thoughts and ideas. I think that despite radically divergent views, we all want essentially the same thing for our country.

If we all thought exactly the same way as, as the current Syrian establishment expects us to, we wouldn't need to express ourselves, use the internet or use blogs and facebook to debate and exchange ideas.

sasa said...

I completely agree. I think many of us want the same thing, but we disagree on how to get there.

And I have had my eyes opened recently to difficulties I never imagined existed. And they have become part of my fight now.

What's important isn't necessarily the ends, but the means. The debate and the exchange of views is more important than what that discussion achieves.

We're in this together.