Monday, July 21, 2008

Kuntar: Hero or anti-Hero?

I don't think he is either.

Let's get real. Kuntar was a minor at 16 years of age, when he was sent by the FLP on the Nahariyah operation in 1979. I do not pretend to know what his motives were or whether this was an idea implanted by adults into the impressionable mind of a sixteen year old. He is after all a Lebanese Druze and not a Palestinian whose family suffered violence and dispossession at the hands of Israel; so personal anger and rage are unlikely to have motivated him.

I wanted to stay out of this debate altogether but the way Kuntar is being treated like a celebrity has left me more than a little queasy. I am annoyed with the way many Arabs have reflexively accepted his promotion to icon of the resistance and are willing to gloss over the facts that have brought him to his iconic status.

I know for certain that many who will publicly support him, have privately the same uneasy feelings I do about this whole affair but are willing to suppress it in favor of the big picture: That the prisoner exchange was a victory over Israel. These very same people when confronted with the facts of the Nahariyah operation will, instead of responding to the accusation, remind you of Israel's long list of atrocities against civilians, including children. No objections here except that two wrongs don't make a right. Others will tell you that the child bludgeoning accusation is an Israeli fabrication, that the child died in the crossfire. I do not know the veracity of the claim but even if true, it does not get him off the hook since neither the child nor the child's parents should have been put in that situation in the first place. I, for one, cannot accept that this act perpetrated against civilians is a legitimate act of resistance. There are no buts here; we, as Arabs, undermine our legitimate grievances against Israel's many acts of barbarity if we then turn around and excuse similar acts perpetrated by one of our own. More importantly, we undermine our own integrity.

The real resistance heroes in my book are the Hizbullah fighters who fiercely and valiantly battled the Israeli army forcing its exit in 2000, or the youngsters of the intifada who battled fire with rocks and slingshots. My iconic figure of resistance is the young Palestinian fighter who in the summer of 1982 in Beirut, was standing alone on the back of pickup truck manning an antiaircraft gun. He was one of few fighters left standing on an exposed highway by the Beirut stadium (Madineh el Riyadiyeh) surrounded by death and destruction, yet he kept firing at unrelenting waves of Israeli fighter jets until he was felled by an Israeli missile. They are heroes because they fought unselfishly and with courage. Their actions were purposeful in that they confronted the immediate cause of their problems, the armed aggressors.

The point is the Nahariyah operation and other operations targeting civilians undertaken by the Palestinian resistance during that era were purposeless in that they never advanced the cause of the Palestinian resistance and I would argue that, in many instances, it set it back. Hizbullah did not liberate the South by staging operations against civilian targets in Israel; they did it by making life hell for the IDF in the South.

I do not know the histories of the other four prisoners released along with Kuntar or the stories of the nearly two hundred deceased fighters, but I bet that more than a few will have stories much more befitting a hero than that of Samir Kuntar.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a superb analysis of the Quntar issue...you very well balance the grotesque acts he did that brought him to fame and the bigger picture and quite rightly identify that the real heroes are those unamed fighters who fought off Israel in 2000. Great post!

MJ said...

you know i completely agree.. I always tried to think about what Quntar has done as heroic even though we all should oppose the killing of innocent civilians. I think in the 70's and 80's the targeting of civilians was done to attract the attention of other nations to the issue..?
but Quntar does deserve some credit for what he has done, surviving 30 years in Israeli prisons is not easy i think..atleast he did what he thought would help the cause, atleast he sacrificed his life for it.. unlike many arabs today..
by the way the other 4 are hizbullah fighters that were captured in the 2006 war..

Yazan said...

A hat-tip Abu Kareem.

There's a real lack of critical thought in our Arab world.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Arabista, Jabz, Yazan,

Thank you. I was expecting a number of indignant and angry comments. Your supportive comments are reassuring.

مترجم سوري said...

if i may add few points here
"He is after all a Lebanese Druze and not a Palestinian whose family suffered violence and dispossession at the hands of Israel"
1-he did suffer. on that very week , he and his village were picking up corps off the roads coz of an israeli's attack on lebanon.

2-"have brought him to his iconic status."
he is an icon coz with his release , the lebanese prisoners file is closed, which is something they must be proud about. and it deserves this celebration.

"instead of responding to the accusation, remind you of Israel's long list of atrocities against civilians, including children."
3- i think when their civilians are threatened too in return to what israel is doing , the civilans will push the goverment to stop their deeds.
besides, back at that time, the picture was that every israeli is an occuppier, ready to hold a gun and and kill. an occupier is not a civilan .

regards

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

أُمنية

Thank you for your comments.
1. Point taken, I did not know that piece of information.
2. I did not say that the prisoner release is not a cause of celebration. As I said, perhaps other prisoners may be more deserving of all the attention that Kuntar is getting.
3. I understand the logic of the tactic but I still think it is morally indefensible; and on a pragmatic level it really did not work.

Abufares said...

My dear Abu Kareem
You will never get an indignant and angry comment from me but rather one full of respect and camaraderie. However, I don\\\'t agree with you.
We were and we still are in a state of war with Israel. Does that justify atrocities against civilians? Never. Does that inherently mean that I should stick with my own, for better or worse? A big YES.
They have their own demonic heroes and we have our own. It\\\'s not a matter of turning the other cheek when civilians from our side fall. It\\\'s war, and a dirty one like all wars of past, present and future.
I wouldn\\\'t even bother with the details here as I certainly am looking at the big picture. When and if this conflict is over we might all, both sides, light up the candles together and cry till we run dry. Until the final whistle is blown, this has certainly been a no-holds-barred and unsportsmanlike combat.
I have no moral obligation whatsoever to be a better person than the enemy.
Ehud Barak is their hero, Samir Kuntar is ours.
This was my explanation to you. To them, I don\\\'t need to explain myself.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Abu Fares,

My friend, I am always happy to hear your comments whether or not you agree with me.

This post was never meant to be an explanation to "them" but rather to ourselves. As you said,

Even in war, I feel that we have an obligation to ourselves, NOT anyone else, to act morally and responsibly. It doesn't mean turning the other cheek; it doesn't mean being a defeatist. Accepting that there are no moral limits in war means an ever accelerating fall into an abyss of everlasting conflict. It means never getting to the point of where we can "light up the candles together and cry till we run dry". I, for one, cannot accept that as our (Arabs and Israelis) immutable destiny.

Here is my barometer of acceptability: Would I be proud if my son did what Kuntar did? I wouldn't. Would I abandon him because of it? Of course not.

Let them have Ehud Barak and Sharon as their heroes, I want my Salahuddin.

Arab Democracy said...

Dear Abu Kareem

Let me start by saying that I dont have strong feelings about Samir Kuntar one way or the other.

I was having this discussion with a fellow Lebanese blogger over whether Samir Kuntar was a criminal or not (I ended up being insulted). My view was that the judicial system in israel cannot be treated as an obective entity independent of the Israeli state apparatus. So their ruling cannot be accepted by us. (Kuntar himself denies smashing her head).If we accept the Kuntar verdict then we should accept the Barghouti one and various others.

You wonder what motivated Kuntar. The question can be asked of all non-Palestinians who took arms or fought intellectually for Palestine since 1948. This was a time of revolution and hope in a better future for all third world countries. The Palestinians was at the heart of this global struggle.(Do I even need to mention this)

As of the distinction between the Hezbollah fighters and those who preceded them on the frontline with Israel I find it slightly besides the point. Hezbollah did fire rockets into civilian areas in Israel resulting in casualties, and they could not have done otherwise given the nature of their weapons. This is a matter of tactics for them not morality.

Finally. The folklore surrounding Kuntar was purely for internal political consumption. Nothing to do with the man himself.

regards

Joseph

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Joseph,

Thank you for your comment. I am certainly not sold on the Israeli version of anything. Demonizing Kuntar as a child killer fits nicely with the Israeli propaganda, but if their is a credible alternative version then it has certainly not been well used as counter propaganda.

As far as intellectual impetus, I fully understand those of grown adults of that era time but Kuntar was 16 years old -a minor.

And for local consumption or not, I feel it is time that we pick some better role models.