Monday, January 23, 2006

Syrians & Lebanese: Two Sides of the Same Coin


Having grown up Syrian in Lebanon, I have heard it all. To the Lebanese, we were like distant, unsophisticated, country cousins that they would rather not been seen with. They were clever, urbane, worldly, cosmopolitan Levantines and we were simple minded, backwards and spoke with a funny accent. Mind you, this was the impression before the Syrian army and mukhabarat spent almost 30 years there! So I was not terribly surprised when the March 14th demonstrations turned xenophobic and then ugly.

The outrage at the Hariri assassination and the oppressive presence of the mukhabarat were understandable, the xenophobia was not. Both people originate from a common stock. Besides, who better understands Lebanese outrage than people who have endured the suffocating oppression of baathist rule than the average Syrian.

I applaud the Lebanese for demanding their independence and trying to hold the Syrian government accountable. However, there is something very unpalatable about the way they have made Syria culpable for 30 years of their own sordid civil dysfunction. It is all too convenient and, unfortunately, all too Lebanese. Even when they were killing each other, it is always someone else's fault. If it is not the Palestinians, it is the Israelis, the Americans or the ____ (fill in the blank). More than 15 years after the end of the Lebanese civil war, there has not been any serious discussion of the roots of the civil war, no reconciliation, not a single public memorial. The recent discovery of the mass grave in Anjar next to a former Syrian mukhabarat offices was first met with macabre glee in some Lebanese circles. Here is finally hard proof of Syria's dastardly work. But very quickly, the story disappeared from the front pages lest mass graves, of Lebanese making, start popping up a little everywhere. This collective amnesia, may be a reflexive survival instinct, but does not bode well for the long term health of the country.

Don't get me wrong, I care deeply about Lebanon (how can I not? My wife is Lebanese). Some of the Lebanese's conceit about their superiority to the Syrians is true. Beyond the superficial obsessions with everything new and Western, the Lebanese society is more developed in many ways than Syrian society. The free press and free exchange of ideas has fostered an atmosphere that has helped the Lebanese establish civic institutions independent of the absent/dysfunctional state. Moreover, the young, post-civil war generation of Lebanese seem to have shed some their parents' sectarian biases. Syrian society, on the other hand, has languished in cultural and economic isolation and stifling enforced Baathist conformity. Syrians, on the other hand, have a much clearer sense of national identity, something that -despite all the recent flag waving- the Lebanese still sorely lack.

The Lebanese and Syrians are inextricably linked by geography, history, clan and sectarian relationships. Yet over the past 50 years, each has evolved separately, forming a distinctive identity and historical narrative (no Greater Syria for me). Both countries' interests will easily converge when each has a stable, truly representative government. For the Lebanese, the Syrian exit is a start, but along with a full accounting of Syria's misdeeds is a need for a full accounting of their own culpability - what is needed is a Lebanese "Truth and Reconciliation Commission". For the Syrians, the journey starts with the radical reform or the ouster of the current regime. Along the way, both countries will need each other, not in a the master-vassal relationship but as equals with a common destiny.

(Photo by AK: Baalbeck, Lebanon)

7 comments:

Amr T said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Syrian Brit said...

You said in your latest post a lot of what goes in my own mind about the intricate relationship between Syria and Lebanon, and the Syrian People and the Lebanese People..
I think the large majority of the Syrian people empathize with the Lebanese people on the issue of the hardship they endured under the oppressive boot of the Syrian army and mukhabarat.. After all, as you said, who better to empathize with a sufferer than a fellow-sufferer?.. (I personally felt deeply embarrassed and humiliated when the Syrian Constitution was amended in less than 15 minutes to to pave the way for Bashar Assad to succeed his father, creating the first 'hereditary republic' in the modern Arab history.. I felt exactly the same embarrassment and humiliation when the Lebanese Constitution was manipulated and meddled with, to allow that unbelievable folly of extending the tenure of President Lahoud)..
In fact, I suspect that quite a few Syrians today secretly envy the Lebanese, now that they do not have to suffer the kind of oppression that the Syrians still endure.. (I fully appreciate that Lebanon has its own set of very complicated and un-enviable problems, though!..)
I lived in Beirut in the early eighties (1980-1983), and lived through some of the worst episodes of the Lebanese Civil War.. While I do not, in any way, want to belittle the suffering of Lebanon and the Lebanese at the hands of outside forces (wherever they came from), I too could not help but feel that the Lebanese were always more than happy to find faults in others and forget their own.. they always saw their problems as a result of 'external forces'.. never their own doing..
Like you, I was not at all surprised by the way events turned in Lebanon.. I think everything that is going on today, including the rampant xenophobia (or should I say 'Syriophobia'?..) is understandable (However, that is not to say it is acceptable or justified)..
While I can understand why some Lebanese harbour so much hatred towards everything Syrian, I do wish they can differentiate between the true oppressor and fellow-oppressed.. I do wish they would look at their own shortcomings, in order to start to address them..
But more than anything, I wish I would live to see the day when the Syrian people are free of oppression, and are allowed to achieve their full potential...

Ms Levantine said...

Excellent post (maybe because I agree with most of what you are saying). It seems we are on the same wavelenghts. I will add your link on my blog as soon as my lazyness allows me to do it.

Anonymous said...

Whatever history the Lebanese share with the Syriansm it is a forced history!

I concede that there are some Lebanese with Syrian origin, but over and all, I can distinguish a Syrian from a Lebanese from a mile away.

We are different and do not share the same tree, and I guarantee you that we are not two sides of the same coin.

We speak a different language
we have a different history
we have a different culture

I concede also that there has been a lot of intermarriage, and I guess that works in the advantage of the Baathists that want to go back to the one people two states bullshit.

two people, two states, forever! You are not my sister, I am not your brother. I am your neighbor, respect me as your neighbor, as I should respect you as my neighbor.

Anonymous said...

Well put anonymous 5:13pm.
and enough with the brother-sister balloney! Syrians need to grow the fuck up, wean themselves off of Lebanon, get a lifem, and MOVE ON!!!!

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Anonymous 1 and 2,

You are just perfect examples of Lebanese "exceptionalism". Sure, I will concede that you are superior in every way to the detritus living around you: you are of a different race (did you know that the Phoenecians discovered America?), have a different language, costums, music and food. And, Oh yes, you are also smarter.

You are also, arrogant, ignorant, self-deceiving fools. If you don't have anything intelligent and constructive to say, please stay off my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Abu Kareem,

Thoughtful blog and I entirely sympathise, as an Australian-born of Lebanese heritage. You put it well and there does seem to be this marked Lebanese chauvinism that we would do well to address. I was recently moved by a recent beautifully writen article by an American with a Lebanese mother who entered Syria to escape the current conflagration. She was touched by the wonderful and warm hospitality of the Syrians. Read it at http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article5188.shtml

I will be linking to your blog, under various categories (USA, Syria,Lebanon). Feel free to have a look at my blog at http://peoplesgeography.wordpress.com

Cheers
Ann