Saturday, November 22, 2008

Keeping the Syrian Blogosphere Civil

I started reading blogs for about a year before I started my writing my own. I read many Lebanese blogs and the few Syrian blogs that were out there. The discourse among the Lebanese blogs often degenerated into gratuitous verbal attacks. By contrast, discussions among Syrian bloggers, rarely if ever, got contentious. I smugly attributed this difference to the generally more congenial nature of Syrians. So I was surprised by one of Razan's recent post where she describes the venom with which some self-righteous religious Syrian bloggers have been denigrating others whose points of view they found objectionable to the point that they have suggested these blogs be destroyed by hackers. Razan wrote that the reason she turned off the comments function on her blog is that she was the target of some of this venom. Perhaps I should not be surprised, with the exponential increase in the number of Syrian blogs, it was only a matter of time before some self-appointed thought police took it upon themselves to purge the Syrian blogosphere of ideas that THEY deemed inappropriate.

Both Dania and Abu Fares have posted on this topic following Razan's lead but given the critical importance of this issue, I felt that as many bloggers as possible need to make their voices heard.

That Razan was one of the target of these zealots is not surprising. She is perhaps one the most outspoken and fearless Syrian blogger. She never shies away from saying what's on her mind even if it trespasses into territory that is taboo by Middle Eastern standards. I admire her courage, her energy and her strength even if I don't always agree with her. Razan's passion is matched only by her compassion as exemplified by her work on behalf of the Palestinians of Nahr el-Bared. Zealots may want to silence voices like Razan's, I on the other hand, would like to see more young Syrians in her mold start to speak up.

The proliferation of Syrian blogs with strong religious points of view is a reflection of the changes in Syrian society as a whole. But, I think such blogs likely over represent this societal trend because whereas expressions of deep religious convictions is publicly acceptable, expressions of political (or social) convictions that run against the norm is frowned upon and may come -in the case of politics- at a high price. Nevertheless, blogs with diverse religious points of views is a welcome addition to the Syrian blogosphere. Unfortunately, a few among these, are works of zealots who are not only unwilling to consider other points but want those points of views they consider offensive eliminated.

I have a problem with zealots of all kinds: political, secular or religious. Among religious zealots, Muslim zealots irk me the most precisely because I am Muslim. I find the zealots' narrow and rigid mindset and their intolerance nonsensical. To me, true faith comes out of a conviction reached through a deliberate thought process that considers many alternatives. Zealots would rather have believers as unthinking automatons, like donkeys with blinders following edicts without understanding them. Zealots expose their own deep-seated insecurity when they jump to silence any criticism of their religion as if their faith is a fragile house of cards. It is not; I believe that one should deal with such criticism head on and there is never a need to muzzle dissenting voices. Hearing what others say about you, no matter how unpleasant, often leads to necessary self-examination. Finally, intolerant zealots rightfully extol the various achievements of Islam over the last millennium but forget that Islam flourished most when it was at its most open and tolerant.

So as Abu Fares stated in his post, I welcome and encourage interaction among Syrian blogs. Although several people seem to draw a clear line among secular and religious blogs, I thinks it is more like a continuum. Frank exchanges and debates among blogs of opposing viewpoints is only possible when they are free of personal attacks, condescention and threats.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Abu Kareem
i just wanted to pass by and thank you for your support and open-mindedness,
and that i missed you.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Razan,

You are more than welcome. I was actually gratified when visiting the site of the blogger that you quoted that most of comments were critical of his post and favored a more civil approach to dealing with opinions that they found offensive.

Yazan said...

I have very little to add Abu Kareem.

I have personally seen wassim venomously attack you at least twice thus far, and I find it particularly tasteless and uncalled for.

All the best!

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Yazan,

Thanks for your support. As for Wassim ... I give up. I have continued to remain civil in my comments -both negative and positive- to his posts but this behavior was never reciprocated. I guess "Netiquette" is not his cup of tea. That's fine, I just will not bother with him any more.

Dania said...

Keeping the blogosphere civic and so the civic society, the one that is yet to be created…
When I referred to Razan's post I was just giving an example of the rapidly growing religious mentality that blogosphere reflected it, if you followed Syplanet for the last few months, it is quite noticeable. Such posts will unfortunately create defensive, mindless reactions like the one we witnessed by wassim.

saint said...

There are a lot of wonderful religious sites added to blog sphere lately, this is good news. They have the talent to extract freedom of speech from the lion mouth their way. The important hope is to see growth in the number of blogs and to see more interactivities. Direction of interactivities is not up to anyone to decide on; this is the center calls of civil society. This means big support to people who are calling for freedom of speech since it is forcing its pressure on the regime who tries to shuts people mouths and can not pass and enforce a single law to the blogshpere. He is busy collecting money from users. The issue of hackers or anti-civility is another one which should be addressed in civility as Abufares and Abu kareem did. Thanks to both.
That is what I think?

Abufares said...

I can of course edit my post and use your word \"continuum\" from the excessively religious to the obscenely secular to describe the variety of Syrian blogs but I will not do that although I know that it is a much better description than mine.
Thank you Abu Kareem for always being a gentleman in agreeing and disagreeing with others.

Dubai Jazz said...

Although I don’t comment here much, but that doesn’t mean I am not lurking in the dark reading and listening :)

Thanks Abu Kareem, wonderful post as always.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Dania and Saint,
Thanks for your comments and to contributing to a civil discussion of the topic.

Abu Fares,
In the end, the 37 plus comments to your post shows that -with one exception- a civil discussion can be had on "febrile" topics. No minds were changed but some commentators expressed a better understanding and acceptance of opposing points of views.

qunfuz said...

I agree with what you say, Abu Kareem.

Although intolerance has no ideology - it can be secular, religious, nationalist, liberal, etc - Islamists often are very intolerant indeed, because they have convinced themselves that God is on their side. Have you ever visited the 'Islamic' chat rooms where Wahhabis and Shia, for instance, compete in the savagery and ignorance of their insults to each other, and nothing of note is ever actually discussed.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.