Saturday, April 11, 2009

Reflections of a Son and a Father


I was invited to a medical conference in Cyprus in late March and so I took advantage of my proximity to Beirut to hop over and see my parents. I saw them last in December but of all my brothers I live the furthest from them and see then the least and at 76 and 81 years of age, my parents are getting frailer and slower. “Provided I am still alive by then” was my father’s usual response for as long as I can remember whenever we planned future reunions. That statement twenty years ago used to annoy my mother to no end. These days, however, she lets it pass.

Unencumbered by wife, kids or obligations to in-laws this time, my parents had me all to themselves for the three short days I spent in Beirut. We reconnected, reminisced, talked about their health as they worried unnecessarily about mine. Just sharing a common space with them, chatting over coffee and a few meals sufficed. It was just what I needed and it was all they wanted as well.

Retreating to the living room one afternoon as they rested, I sat on the sofa across from a bookcase jam packed with family photographs and memorabilia. They were the memories of a rich, if complicated, life, lived across many continents and requiring frequent fragmentation of the family. I had seen them all before, but whenever I visited, I felt the need to examine them again. Here on several bookshelves, was essentially the chronology of our life. This time, one particular photograph caught my attention. It was a photograph of me sitting on the floor my back against the bathtub, on each arm, a child wrapped in a towel. My two children, mere infants at the time, wet and smiling from ear to ear, looked happy, content … beautiful.

Then it happened, with a sudden rush of thoughts and emotions, one of life’s intense, confusing and contradictory moments. I felt simultaneously a sense of happiness, longing, loss, sadness and contentment. Here I was, visiting my aging parents in the twilight of their life, and feeling in their presence, even in my middle age, the same sense of comfort and security I felt as a child. At the same time the photograph of my children filled me with joy and realizing that more than a dozen years have passed since I gave them their baths, I longed to see them. I wanted to stay and yet I felt a sudden unrealistic urge to go. Time was passing fast, after all, and I only had a few more years to shepherd my children into adulthood.

I was torn between the privilege of being a son and the responsibilities of being a father. I may lose my privileged status as a son in a few years but I will always be a father. My only hope is that when I let my children fly on their own in a few short years, they will soar, but will not forget the privilege of being a son and a daughter. I want them to remember that there will always be a place of respite for them from life’s hard knocks and unpredictable turns, in the warm reassuring embrace of their father and mother.

5 comments:

Abufares said...

What can I say Abu Kareem?!
This is the most beautiful thing I read in such a long time. Being privileged as a son and a father is one of the highlights of middle age:-)
When I lost my mother 10 years ago I felt(and I still feel) that my back was broken. I recovered as is the nature of life. My mother used to say about my children: "Allah Yeb3atlon Eyam A7la Men Ayamna" (May God bless them with better days than ours).
That's all I wish for my, and for your, children.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Abufares,
Thank you for the kind words; it is really only when you become a parent that you really appreciate your own.

Karin said...

I have a 85 year old mother, living in Munich, physically (except back and legs) healthier than a 50-year old, interested in politics, listening to news and reading the paper, cooking, cleaning ect. - and riding downtown every other day to see what's on sale and what not. With every day she is getting more precious to me and simultanuously my conscience is getting worse for being so far away even though we talk a lot! I am so proud of her .. so proud! My sister lives closeby for any needed support .. I wish so much I could be closer to them all!

My dad died unexpectedly 11 years ago .. I still miss him dearly!

You're so right - only once you becomes a parent, you learn to appreciate your own!

The Syrian Brit said...

You touch a very raw nerve, my friend..
Every time I visit my aging parents (Dad is 86 in October, and although very fit physically and mentally, he is, perhaps not surprisingly, getting frailer..), I experience the sense of being torn between my responsibility towards my children, and the guilt for leaving my parents at an age when they increasingly need me..
I, like you, am privileged to have a loving, supportive and understanding father.. I just hope that I can be for my children what he has been to me, and that they see in me what I see in my Dad...

Deen Sharp said...

I blog may interest you lebelections.blogspot.com

Thanks

Deen