Saturday, July 15, 2006

Enough Delusions!

For the past two days I have had a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. It is a mix of disgust, anger and hopelessness at the events in Lebanon, a country that I love. My memories of living through many similar events in Lebanon remain vivid so I know what it feels, sounds and smells like... I hate it and I don't wish it on my worst enemy. As I have watched the Lebanese slowly rebuild their shattered country over the last 16 years, I had hoped against all odds, that the youngest generation of Lebanese would be finally spared the horrors of war.

I seethe in anger at the callousness and cruelty with which Israel destroys innocent lives and Lebanon's civilian infrastructure in the name of self-defense with the silent acquiescence of the rest of the world. The Israelis know perfectly well that Lebanon is deeply divided over Hizbullah's militia. Why punish everyone? The only conclusion one can draw from their over reaction is that they are not interested in a stable and prosperous Lebanon but in one that is in perpetual political and economic chaos. From their response in Gaza, they have the same condescending attitude to the Palestinians. To all this, the moronic US president, with his cartoonish, black and white view of the world gives his full, unconditional support. Just imagine the brownie points he would have gained with the "Arab Street" that he is trying so hard to woo, if he would have at least qualified his support of Israel by saying: "OK to self defense ... But civilians and civilian infrastructure are not fair game". Is it not these same civilians, whether in Gaza or Lebanon, to whom he wants to bring democracy? No wonder that the "Arab Street" is cynical of American intentions.

Equal to my anger and disgust at the Israelis is my anger and disgust at Hizbullah and its leaders for the sheer recklessness and stupidity of the act that triggered this whole fiasco. What were they really trying to achieve? Yes, yes, I know, the reason for the continued existence of their militia is they want to liberate every last inch of Lebanese territory because that speck on the map that is Shebaa farms is so critical for Lebanon's future. Even if it is so, is this the right time? The right way? Is it in the end worth it? Is it even logical to go up against one of the most powerful armies in the world backed up, unconditionally, by the only superpower. Rigid ideology has to be tempered by logic and reason if not it becomes delusional and self-destructive.


Some may think my explanations naive as this is surely part of a larger, Machiavellian game played at the regional level. I will let others speculate. What I do know is that these games always serve the narrow interests of the leaders -survival at any cost- who engage in them and comes invariably at the expenses of the people they are sworn to serve.

To their credit, Hizbullah did, as they are like to remind the Lebanese, force Israel to leave in 2000. For that, they were rewarded with real political power to represent their constituency, the Shia, that has long been marginalized in Lebanon. Why then did they not then disband their militia? Is it such a hard concept to understand that a stable independent state cannot function with two armies one answering to the government and one to a leader with no political or legal authority? They are either unable or unwilling to transform from a resistance movement that is capable of blowing things up to a political movement that can help build a country. They justify the continued existence of their militia to the general public by invoking the need to liberate the Shebaa farms but are in reality unwilling to give up the power that comes with having their own private army. Just imagine the intoxicating power that Nasrallah must be feeling acting as if he was simultaneously president, prime minister and commander in chief of Lebanon but without any of the constraints or responsibilities. So he can callously offer up all his citizens and his country for "all out war" because in the end he will not have to fix the bridges or mend the lives that are affected as a consequence of his action.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t think that the scale of Israel’s assault is justified, but I can’t stand HA either.

Re: Lebanese Prisoners in Israeli Jails

Nasrallah wants Samir Kuntar to be released. While there might be some Lebanese prisoners in Israeli jails who ought to be freed, Samir Kuntar is not one of them. In 1979 he murdered, point blank, three members of an Israeli family (plus a policeman). He invaded their apartment, looked them in the faces, and killed them. He killed the little girl by forcing a rifle butt into her skull.

Re: Getting Lebanese Released

Nasrallah rhetorically asked “if anyone knows a better way to [get Lebanese released], I’d like to hear it.”

Actually there is. In mid-2005 Israel released over 20 Jordanian prisoners, some of whom had committed deeds similar to Kuntar’s.

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=7640
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3054470,00.html

The Syrian Brit said...

Abu Kareem,
Every word you have written expresses ever so eloquently my own feelings about the heart-ripping events in the Middle East..
I have stopped posting on my blog, and until this, I have stopped commenting on other people's blogs.. I feel an overpowering sense of despair, futility, and pessimism, such that I am finding it very difficult to write anything worth reading.. My sense of doom was not the result of the events of the last few days.. They have only helped to deepen it..

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Haider,

You are absolutely right. I fully support Lebanon,as anyone who reads my blog knows, and I am ready to help. You and Amr have done a great job publicizing the plight of Lebanon and showing showing solidarity.

Howver, the killing needs to stop before we can help. The hard reality is that we are powerless to stop the killing. Signing a thousand petitions that disappears into the blogosphere will not help. This is not a defeatist attitude, it is just reality.

Condoleeza Rice just made a statement essentially saying that she wants to give Israel more time to finish it job and the leaders at the G8 summit want the violence to stop to spare Israeli lives. Lebanese blood and the destruction of a whole country, apparently, counts for nothing.

The powers that be will decide whent the killing stops. In the meantime all I can do is pray for the safety of my family and for the rest of the people in Lebanon.

They will need us when it is all over and we will be there for them.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Toteone,

You obviously did not read my post completely. Having experienced war first hand, I don't care for it and don't wish it on anyone.

I also read your multiple comments on Fares' blog and I am afraid to say, my friend, that you don't make a lot of sense.

Peace