Saturday, October 13, 2007

لماذا اكتب بألأنكليزية

Anas, from the blog An@s online raised the question a couple of days ago as to why some Syrian bloggers choose to write in English. It is a fair question, posed in a thoughtful way and without prejudgement. Here is my answer.

إلى أخي ألمواطن ألكريم أنس
I will try to answer your question as to why I blog in English rather than in Arabic. The reasons are not simple and straightforward and are my own personal reasons though I suspect that other Syrians who blog in English may share some of the same reasons.

I could tell you that I don't possess an Arabic keyboard and that I rely on a tedious, slow and impractical online Arabic keyboard for the few times that I do write in Arabic. That is all true but that would be a lame excuse for not posting in Arabic. The bottom line, the naked truth is that, unfortunately, my command of Arabic, my native language, is not good enough for me to effectively express my thoughts.

Why? It is a long story. It is the story of many expatriates like myself who left Syria (not by choice) early on and whose formative years were spent in a nomadic existence in and out of the Arab world. My early schooling was in Lebanon, where in most private schools, a command of the Arabic language was not emphasized. Subsequently all of my university education was in English.

So you see Anas, it is not that I chose not to write in Arabic, it is that I cannot do it effectively. I envy bloggers like yourself and other Syrian bloggers writing in Arabic who can write so effectively and eloquently in Arabic. One of the comments left on your post suggested that Syrians who write in English feel somehow superior to the common Syrian and though they may feel a longing for Syria it is a longing for the land but not its people. This cannot be farther from the truth and here I can speak on behalf of all the Syrian bloggers who post in English. One of the attributes of us Syrians as a people, if I may be allowed to make a sweeping generalization, is our simplicity. Simplicity not in the sense of simple mindedness but in the sense of tending to be humble and unpretentious. I have yet to see a post by a Syrian where other Syrians are slandered because of their social or economic status or their religious beliefs.

I understand your preference to read posts in Arabic, by thoughtful educated bloggers from within Syria. They certainly have a first hand view of the day to day issues that Syrians are dealing with and perhaps understand it better that I do. Where I disagree with you is your conclusion that somehow, because they write in Arabic, they are more steeped in and understanding of the culture and history of Syria.

But even if I could write effectively in Arabic, I would still write many posts in English. This is because I feel that in addition to exchanging thoughts with other Syrians, I want others to have access to our thoughts and ideas. I live divided among two cultures that are increasingly polarized by ignorance and the malicious spread of misinformation for political and strategic ends. I feel that is my duty, in whatever small way I can to try to bridge this chasm. My blog provides a window into which the curious can peer and learn about what I and other Syrians think and feel. Personal blogs, like few other ways of communication can humanize the "other". My American friends who read my blog have a much better understanding of not only who I am but have a better understanding of the broader issues that concern me and my Syrian compatriots.

You stated in your post that you rarely get past the first line of a post by a Syrian writing in English. I think that it is a pity. You are missing out on some very thoughtful and relevant posts. They will certainly broaden your perspective. We live in a rapidly changing and interconnected world, whether we like it or not. What happens anywhere in the world quickly ripples across the globe and Syria is certainly not immune to these effects. I am very interested in the thoughts of the blogs you prefer to frequent. But by the same token you ought to be curious about what other Syrians are writing, in whatever language they chose to communicate in.

12 comments:

saint said...

Thank you Abu Kareem, for touching on Anas’s post regarding “why blogers write in English”. I’ve read his post and I felt really sad for his prospective, and I wondered if Anas this way advocating for not visiting big sites written in English and use the powerful sources such as Wikipedia, Wikimapia, Google and all the resources on the internet to get to know. I felt that the idea of limiting oneself to one language where the internet itself had passed this hurdle through translation tool is really unfortunate.

I join your voice for asking those wonderful blogers to revise their thoughts and interacted with their fellow Syrians who lives all around the world. I encourage them to use the translation tool to interact with the thoughts not the mean and not limit themselves the Arabic language. Syrian compromise large communities all around the world with many different languages and second generation could hardly speak other than the language he taught at school. Considering the number of expats which reach 15 millions according to Syrian data is really a waste if not used to achieve excellence.

I also would like to mention that when I came to the USA, I brought with me the books for first, second and third grades from Damascus, and me and my wife used them to teach our first kid the Arabic language. However because life here is so fast and there is no time we could not achieve the goal of teaching him Arabic.

I also would like to add that I wish I can write in Arabic. I have been using only English for the last 20 years and I feel embarrassed from not able to express myself in Arabic, but I can’t help it.

Anonymous said...

Yeslam temmak ya Abu Kareem. I thank you for - and agree with - every word you have written, and will say so on Anas's blog as well.

Abufares said...

We tend to make mistakes when we generalize (this opening statement is a simple example).
Inadvertently, Anas fell victim to this fact of life. It is not a matter of whether my English is better than my Arabic or not. However, by blogging about myself, my city, my country and my Arabism in English I feel that I am reaching a larger audience. My humble goal behind writing, in addition to personal satisfaction, is to be a part of a human trend. We should not wait for the tide of globalization to sweep us. Instead , we can make our little own waves which will eventually reach distant shores.
The historical, intellectual, social, political and aesthetic effects of these gentle ripples is far more humanly everlasting than a devastating Tsunami.

Maysaloon said...

Excellent article Abu Kareem and I think you speak for me too in your article. It's sad that Syrians who live in Syria and blog Arabic seem to think they are more of Syrians than someone whose only been there "two weeks" and that means he should shut up and not comment about the country if he contradicts them. Language is the outer skin which covers a fruit. You peel it away to get to the good stuff and shouldn't focus on it much.

saint said...

It is a subject really deserves to dwell on. The question raised by Anas is valid and it deserves an answer. The blogers responses to his question show that there is no single reason for not writing in English. And people inside the motherland have no clue about the situation of their immigrant fellows Syrians or about the people who received their education in the west. But there is a bright side for this. The discussion itself brings forward the critical thinking method in all of us in dealing with any trend and it shows that there are different reasons and there are situations which makes you do things in certain way. It also teaches you not oversimplify. Responses by fellow bloggers show that there are personal references to any matter and it teaches us not to generalize and discard others mechanically without reading their thoughts.
Thanks to all

Anonymous said...

مرحبا ...
في البداية أشكر أبو كريم على توضيحه سبب كتابته بالانكليزية, في الواقع كانت مقالتك ممتعة للقراءة وليست مجرد توضيح :)

وهنا أحب أن أؤكد -وقد ذكرت هذا في مقالتي- بأنني لا ألوم أبداً من يعيشون في الغربة وخاصة من لا يجيد التعبير عن نفسه بالعربية بشكل جيد, بل ألوم في الواقع من ولد وعاش ولا زال يعيش في سوريا لكنه يكتب بالانكليزية.

العزيز saint
أنا قلت في المقالة بأن 99 بالمئة من الوقت الذي أقضيه على الشبكة هو وقت باللغة الانكليزية وأعتبر بأن الويكيبيديا ومواقع مثل
digg.com, slashdot, wired.com
هي مواقع يومية بالنسبة لي لا أستطيع العيش دونها ... لهذا وضحت لماذا أفضل عند نهاية اليوم قرائة شيء بالعربية يجعلني أشعر بأنني لازلت مرتبطاً بشكل ما بهذه اللغة وهذا المجتمع.

وشكراً للجميع على تعليقاتهم وتوضيحاتهم.

The Syrian Brit said...

As ever, Abu Kareem, your eloquant post say, almost word for word, what I feel about this.. Thank you!.. (I msut say, though, I cannot use the lack of proper command of Arabic as an excuse!!..)
I think Saint, Wassim, and Abu Fares have all touched on an undercurrent in Anas's article (and in some of the comments psoted there), which seems to suggest that those of us who live abroad and write in English are less worthy Syrians than those real patriotic citizens who stay behind!
I think he is guilty of what he accuses us of.. a false sense of superiority!..

saint said...

Does anyone know what is going on with Golaniay site. Since this morning it disappear and then comes back and now you get page not found for her link on syplanet.com.
I hope for her safety from harmful minds.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

أهلا و سهلا ألى مدونتي يا أنس. أنني سعيد انك قرأت أكثر من سطر من مقالي و أنك أعجبت به. كما ترى يا أنس كلنا سوريون لا أكثر و لا أقل

Abufares said...

Anas wrote:
وهنا أحب أن أؤكد -وقد ذكرت هذا في مقالتي- بأنني لا ألوم أبداً من يعيشون في الغربة وخاصة من لا يجيد التعبير عن نفسه بالعربية بشكل جيد, بل ألوم في الواقع من ولد وعاش ولا زال يعيش في سوريا لكنه يكتب بالانكليزية.

Apparently, Anas is blaming only the like of me (those who were born, lived and are still living in Syria) for writing in English.
Well, what can I say, we can't win them all I guess.
Thanks to all for a lively debate and
أنس شكراً لهذه المناقشة المثيرة

Lujayn said...

Abu Fares, thanks for putting in the English translation of whatever you wrote - this pseudo-Syrian would have otherwise skipped the Arabic blah blah blah. :)))

qunfuz said...

I have to join the chorus and say you sum it up for me too, Abu Kareem. I was born in London, I've lived all over the place, and my English is much, much better than my Arabic. I can read the Arabic newspaper, talk fluently (but with mistakes), and write a simple letter if I have to, painfully slowly. But for my expressing myself well in writing on difficult topics - it has to be English. And, again as Abu Kareem says, I'm writing for a non-Arab audience as much as for an Arab one. I think this needs to be done, and by Arabs living in the watan too. The world outside needs to have better sources of information and opinion on the Arab world from the Arabs themselves, not just from Rupert Murdoch etc. Having said that, I think there needs to be much more writing in Arabic than there is - on blogs and in other formats. I heard the other day that Farsi is the second or third (I forget) blogging language in the world. That's impressive. It suggests a literate culture interested in developing debate.